Discover Your True Voice and Conquer Stage Fright
2024 Registration is now OPEN!
Perform and Shine!
Dive into the diverse world of performance with the Master Class at Vocal Euphoria. Guided by Carolyn Thompson, our seasoned Vocal Sensei, you choose your artistic path—whether it’s singing, rapping, or spoken word, all alongside live music. This workshop, welcoming both beginners and advanced performers, is your stage to polish your chosen craft in a warm and friendly environment. Overcome stage fright and unleash your full performance potential. Each session is a unique adventure, enriched with special guests and varying themes, all crafted to inspire and challenge you on your personal expressive journey.
This unique session requires registration 48 hours in advance to ensure participation and to secure our guest artist.
A masterclass, in the context of voice and performance for both beginners and advanced students, is a specialized training session where an expert or master in the field provides intensive instruction and feedback. Here's how it typically works for different levels of students:
- Focus on Fundamentals: Beginners are introduced to basic techniques in singing and performance. This might include breath control, posture, vocal exercises, diction, and elementary stage presence.
- Group Learning: They often benefit from observing the master working with other students, gaining insights into foundational skills and common challenges faced by those starting out.
- Feedback and Encouragement: Beginners receive constructive feedback tailored to their initial level, focusing more on encouraging progress and building confidence.
For Advanced Students:
- Advanced Techniques: The masterclass for advanced students delves into more complex aspects such as advanced vocal techniques, emotional expression, stagecraft, and interpretation of music.
- Performance Critique: These students often perform a piece and receive detailed critiques from the master. This feedback is more nuanced, focusing on fine-tuning their skills and artistry.
- Career Guidance: For advanced students, the masterclass might also include advice on career development, auditions, and the realities of working as a professional singer or performer.
In both cases, the masterclass provides a unique opportunity for students to learn from a seasoned professional's experiences and insights. It's not just about technical skills, but also about understanding the artistry and emotional depth required in performance.
Kimbourne Park United Church
200 Wolverleigh Blvd,
Toronto, ON M4C 1S2
From Jan 13 to May 4
- 1pm to 2:30pm
- 1x, 90min session for $75/person
- 5x, 90min sessions for $325/person*
- Auditors $20/person
Choose a pay-as you-go session or a discounted package of sessions*
- Jan 13
- Feb 10
- March 9
- April 6
- May 4
- In the scheduler below, choose the workshop you'd like to book
- Follow scheduling instructions including payment with PayPal
- Once paid, it's important to check your email for a booking confirmation
- Be sure to add the dates to your calendar
- Read the confirmation email for further instructions
Attendance is limited to those who have completed both pre-registration and pre-payment online. It's important to note that onsite registration is not available, ensuring a streamlined process for all participants.
Workshop Plan and Prep
Vocal Euphoria's Master Class is a specialized voice and performance workshop for teens and adults aged 13+. Each session promises an immersive and educational experience in various musical genres, complemented by guest performances.
- Diverse and Engaging Atmosphere: This workshop is designed to explore a wide range of musical styles, offering a dynamic and enriching environment for learning.
- Professional Guidance and Insight: With guest artists in each session, you'll gain firsthand experience and knowledge from seasoned performers.
- Supportive and Collaborative Learning: We encourage active participation and peer learning, fostering a community of passionate performers.
Preparing for The Master Class
- Genre Diversity: Each session will delve into a different musical genre, providing a rich understanding of its unique qualities.
- Personal Exploration: You're encouraged to engage with each genre and find your own voice within its context.
- Performance Opportunities: Live musical accompaniment and feedback sessions offer real-time practice and improvement.
- Genre Exploration
- Guest Performance and Q&A: Interaction with guest artist
- Participant/Student Performance + feedback.
- Reflection: Discussing learnings and insights.
Focus Areas with Dates for The Master Class
- Week 1: 'Pop Power' - Contemporary Pop (Jan 13)
- Dive into the world of modern pop music. Explore catchy melodies, clear diction, and techniques for connecting with a mainstream audience.
- Week 2: 'Rock Revolution' - Rock and Roll (Feb 10)
- Immerse in the energy and emotion of rock music. Focus on powerful vocals, strong stage presence, and conveying emotions through song.
- Week 3: 'Soulful Sessions' - Soul and R&B (March 9)
- Delve into the depth of Soul and R&B. Learn about emotional expression, vocal dynamics, smooth phrasing, and connecting with the soul of the music.
- Week 4: 'Jazz Journeys' - Jazz and Blues (April 6)
- Explore the intricacies of Jazz and Blues. Emphasize improvisation, vocal flexibility, and expression in genres known for their rich musical heritage.
- Week 5: 'Broadway Bound' - Musical Theatre (May 4)
- Step into the world of Musical Theatre. Focus on expressive storytelling, character portrayal, and developing strong vocal abilities suited for theatrical performances.
Participation and Inclusivity
- Active Engagement: We encourage you to actively participate and immerse yourself in each genre for a complete learning experience.
- Bringing Guests: Please note that guests are permitted to “audit” the master class. There is an attendance fee of $20 per session
- What is an auditor?: In the context of a master class, an auditor is typically someone who attends the class not as an active participant but as an observer. Auditors are there to learn by watching and listening to the instruction given to others, the performances of active participants, and any feedback or critique offered by the instructor or guest artist. Auditing a master class can be a valuable experience, especially in fields like music, dance, or theatre. It allows individuals to gain insights into the teaching and learning process, understand different techniques, and absorb knowledge without the pressure of performing themselves. This role is particularly beneficial for those who wish to learn passively or are not yet ready to participate actively in a master class setting.
- Kindly be aware that the outlined plan for our sessions is flexible and may be adjusted in response to the group's overall progress and specific needs. While we endeavour to adhere to the scheduled topics and activities, please understand that changes may occur to best suit the experience and learning pace of the entire group. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility, ensuring the most beneficial and enjoyable experience for all participants.
Creating a Safe and Supportive Space
- Inclusivity and Respect: We foster an environment where every participant is valued and their unique voice is celebrated.
- Supportive Learning Environment: Our focus is on nurturing growth and encouraging constructive feedback.
- Encouraging Individuality: Embracing each participant's unique style and helping them flourish in their chosen genres.
Comfort and Safety
- Recommended Attire: Comfortable clothing suitable for performance and movement.
- Personal Needs: Feel free to communicate any specific requirements or concerns.
Certificate of Completion
- Upon completing the workshop, you will receive a certificate acknowledging your participation and progress in The Master Class.
Essentials for Each Session
- Please bring a pen and note pad.
- Bottle of water
- A personal recorder or cell phone for recording exercises, if desired (Note: Recording entire sessions is not permitted).
I’m eagerly anticipating your participation in "The Master Class" at Vocal Euphoria. To help you prepare and make the most of your experience, here's an outline of our session structure, along with some key guidelines for your performance:
- Warm-Up: We start with vocal and physical exercises tailored to the day's musical genre.
- Genre Exploration: A brief introduction to the session's genre, covering its history and key characteristics.
- Guest Performance and Q&A: Our guest artist will perform and share insights into their experiences and techniques.
- Participant Practice: This is your time to shine! You'll practice genre-specific singing or performance.
- Feedback and Reflection: We'll wrap up with a group discussion on the learnings and takeaways.
- Song Choice: Please choose one song to perform with live musical accompaniment.
- Accompaniment Options: You may perform with your own instrument or with our provided pianist/guitarist.
- Music Submission: Send either a chart/sheet music or a YouTube link for a cover tune to me 5 days before your session. I will forward this to the musician.
Maximizing Your 10 Minutes
- Active Participation: Each of you will have 10 minutes to perform and receive feedback. Use this time wisely by being fully engaged and open to learning.
- Be Teachable: Embrace the feedback and suggestions from the guest artist and instructor. This is a learning opportunity, so stay receptive and adaptable.
- No Excuses, Just Learning: Approach your performance with confidence. This is a safe space for growth, not perfection.
- Embrace Your Uniqueness: Remember, everyone's journey in music is different. Avoid comparing yourself to others and focus on your own progress.
- Recover from Mistakes: If you stumble, keep going. Mistakes are part of learning.
- Consider Private Lessons: If you feel the need for more in-depth preparation, think about booking private lessons.
Your time in "The Master Class" is a chance to explore, learn, and improve. I want you to enjoy this experience, grow in confidence, and develop your unique voice. Looking forward to seeing you perform and evolve.
See you at the workshop!