What to prepare for your very first session:
- 2x 3-4min songs to sing, varied in tempo and/or genre
- Pick songs a)you’re already working on b)you love and/or c)you already know. Keep it simple!
Background music options:
- karaoke or instrumental tracks on YouTube or Mp3
- If you play, you may bring your guitar or use my guitar or keyboard (in-person)
Important to know:
- There should be no lead voice on background music tracks
- Backup singers on track is fine
- It’s recommended you memorize both songs but not mandatory
- Sing entire song, not just part of it
- Do not end song early, even if it ends with background music and no singing
- Please time your songs so you don't go overtime
- This is NOT AN AUDITION. I just want to hear your voice
What to bring for every session:
- Pen and note pad
- A second device like a phone or tablet to play YouTube karaoke tracks. (zoom lessons only)
- Personal recorder/cell phone to record specific exercises (No, you do not have permission to record entire sessions)
Benefits of Singing Lessons
- Learn to sing and perform
- Enhance your tone
- Practice vocal warmups
- Try new songs
- Push your range
- Take control of your stance, stage presence and body language
- Overcome stage fright
- Improve tuning, projection and clarity
- Have fun
- ...and much more
- To minimize audio glitches and delays during zoom singing lessons, please “Enable Original Sound”. For desktop client and mobile app instructions, go to: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115003279466-Using-and-preserving-original-sound-in-a-meeting. (Making this change is helpful but not mandatory. If you cannot find or access this, then no worries)
General Rules and Etiquette
- Find a private, quiet, secluded space with good lighting where you can sit as well as stand
- Keep webcam in one place, do not hold laptop, iPad etc in your hands.
- Let's avoid interruptions and minimize distractions:
- Test your webcam, sound and mic prior to session
- Ask other people in your household not to disturb you
- NO SPECTATORS on or off camera please
- Students who are parents, to minimize distractions, please do not bring your child/children/toddler(s) into our session. If you cannot find a babysitter, please reschedule!
- Kindly ask friends or family to wait outside. No spectators please.
- Upon the first visit students who are children, 17 and under, must be accompanied by a legal guardian.
- We can all sit down and chat for a few minutes and once your child is comfortable to proceed with the lesson you may wait In the waiting area. If you leave the building please return on time.
- If your child is not comfortable then you may stay but please keep in mind that one-on-one lessons with children are significantly more effective without distractions.
Cancellation Policy for Private Sessions
24hrs notice is required to cancel or reschedule a private lesson. Less than 24hrs notice and you will lose that session. To cancel or reschedule go to the emailed booking confirmation, click CANCEL/RESCHEDULE, and follow the instructions.